Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Non-Ethical hacking

Hey All,

This is something that happened to me... Any how - I don't want to reveal all the personal details here..

But I can of course say - the hack I used to hack the hacker.... !!!!!

Right let me just get in.....

A user login password - in Linux - is stored in /etc/shadow file..

I have never tried to open that file myself till now - and lets see if I can achieve it in future and I will write it here then.....

Text or technically plain text - as in a .properties file, a .log file - are the simplest to hack - and any kinds of command can be issued on them - for a view ....

I said - to view - cos in distributed UNIX and Linux environments - you can never dream of a hack - if you !know the password....

But simple cat, grep, ls, more, less commands do work on individual files.....

So beware of storing a password on a text file or a properties file...

If you really have to - as in my case's application settings -

This below simple command has to get that hacker the shit out of him...

chmod 700 a.txt

Thats it and nothing great...

I was ashamed - when I struggled over an year - when I was daily hacked - and me working on Linux for the past so many years - could not remember this command.....

But now - I am on Cloud 9... The hacker will have to have tougher hacks to hack me....

I know who all read my blog - one simple PS - root cant hack this... :)

I am tracking...!!!

Cheers :)
Ananth Gouri 

No comments:

Post a Comment