Tuesday, May 12, 2009

fsck

Hi All,

I felt that I need to post this, as I felt that the File System Check, a.k.a(fsck) is so well maintained in Linux.

I have Lenny with fsck 1.4.1.3 of 12th Oct,08.

I had some issues with my laptop. So I took it to my EDS block. The Engg removed my hard-disk and put it to another laptop to verify my problem.

He then started that laptop. As soon as the kernel loaded, the fsck appeared to check the file system. I did not figure out anything then.

Then yet again, he changed the hard-disk and put it back to my laptop. I came back to my cubicle and then I once again saw fsck running.

This time I was curious to know the problem.

Hope some could figure out the beauty of fsck by now.

It gave me the following 3 lines before starting system check:
1. Superblock last mount time is in the future.
2. Superblock last write time is in the future.
3. fsck checked time in future. Check forced.

Wow...!!!!!!!!!!! what a beauty!!!!

fsck could figure out the different times in the 2 laptops and hence reforced a check on the file system.

Do you folks think if the proprietary world famous OS has this feature???

Thanks,
Ananth Gouri

No comments:

Post a Comment